Saturday, March 27, 2010

Heroes

Hero seems to be the theme of my life the past few days. First of all, I have been reading for the 4th time 'In the Company of Heroes' by Michael Durant. If you haven't heard of this book then google it or something, check out your local Coles or library. It is an amazing true story about survival in Somalia... if you have seen Blackhawk Down then you already have the background for this book. Michael Durant is the pilot of the second blackhawk to be shot down; he was the one who, after being savagely beaten by the mob, was carried off and held captive. An amazing story!!!!! I love it. My husband bought it for me shortly after we watched Blackhawk Down.


Yesterday while grocery shopping with my crew we came into contact with some heroes of the local variety. My usual grocery store was packed which forced me to park far from the doors, which was ok. I saw a fire truck so I parked near it, knowing my boys LOVE fire trucks and firemen, and anything to do with them. After our shopping was complete and I had David in the car, the firefighters returned to their rig and I pointed them out to JD. He gaped at them in awe while they smiled and waved at my little guy. One fireman even retrieved a fire safety mag from the truck, the ones they give out at schools and such, and gave it to JD. I asked for a second book, pleading 'twin brother in the car' and was graciously given one. With a final goodbye these firefighters jumped in the truck and drove away, all with four little eager eyes watching. It totally made my day to see my boys so excited and happy about seeing a real firetruck and firefighters, up close and personal. Thank you to these heroes who took a minute out of their busy day to make my sons happy!!


Finally, the last brush with heroes comes from my own family. This morning I made a batch of muffins and put them in the oven. Being a mother and homemaker, my mind was immediately drawn to other tasks needing to be done, and I raced upstairs to my room to organize a couple of laundry piles. I completely forgot my muffins in the oven!!!! Which is so crazy because anyone who knows me well knows how much I love muffins and I count the minutes until they are done. Well this time I forgot and was planning out my day while sorting laundry. I could hear my boys chattering outside the door and didn't really pay attention.... HEY it happens. Suddenly JD's words broke through my thoughts and I realized with a panic what he was saying!! "DON'T GO TO THE BASEMENT MOMMY, THE MUFFINS ARE DONE!!" I gasped and opened my door; sure enough I could hear the oven timer and the smell of muffins had swept through the house. I hugged my boy hard and thanked him over and over for being such a good boy and letting me know the muffins were done. His smile made my day. I ran downstairs and they were luckily not burned, just done perfect. Thanks to my son, the hero of the day!!!

No comments: