Thursday, August 25, 2011

Simple Things

         I was reading in the Nov. 2010 issue of Shape that in order to be happier we need to 'Savor the Simple Things' (pg. 31 - Shape Your Life section cover page).  Instead of only celebrating the big things (i.e. promotions, reaching weight goals, etc) we need to enjoy little moments that count as well. 

        Of course there was a study done, one of those pointless studies that confirm for scientists what us common folk already know.  This particular study (in Psychological Science) found that the more a person earned, the less they savor the small things (such as a piece of chocolate).  This is believed to be because with more money to enjoy, the little things just aren't as important. 

That said, here is my list of some of the Simple Things I Savor....

*a brand new box (or jug) of Tide - I enjoy doing laundry for my family (it's dishes I hate to do) and opening a new box is thrilling

*a fresh, clean notebook.  Pens.  Pencils.  Pretty much all school supplies. 

*fireplaces.  I don't currently live in a home with a fireplace, but that's my favorite place to be on a winter evening, with hot chocolate and a book.

*driving through the mountains

*the evening of the last day 'on' for my husband - it's usually a movie rental night, w/popcorn and staying up late since he's off the next few days

*the smell of a bakery (this is from my childhood, my mom & I walking past the bakery to go to the Merc - to this day when I smell a bakery I am suddenly a little girl again walking with my mom)

*autumn leaves

*the feeling of elation when a party I've planned goes off without a hitch and is enjoyed by all

*MUSIC!!!!!  All kinds, from my kids' lullaby CD to a piano protege to Green Day's latest

*Christmas Eve, my favorite day of the year

*dancing and singing in the kitchen while I make supper (I am a rock star and nobody knows!)


Now I have my list, so according to scientists... should I come into a pile of money I will still be happy, since I savor the little things.  How about you?  What makes your list?


No comments: