Monday, August 22, 2011

See Yah Summer

Ahhhh summer is nearly over.  Thank goodness!  I know most everyone loves summer,  the endless days filled with friends, food and activities.  Me.... I love the two or three weeks of vacation when we escape the city and spend time in the mountains of BC.  I don't mind the hot weather when we are camping, boating, fishing, etc.  But back in the city baking in the heat and the snacking mosquitoes is not my cup of tea.  I prefer autumn, which is no secret to those who know me. 

This summer we did in fact escape to BC.  My sons went fishing for the first time as we stayed in a cabin my father-in-law rented for the fam.  I gave my arms a workout in a rowboat for the first time since girls camp.  My husband took me for an amazingly private quad ride on a beautiful mountainside trail (not private like THAT, you sicko es!).  I was able to spend some great time with my husbands' family.  It was awesome.  Then we had to come home. 

And now, waiting for autumn.  In a few weeks the boys will be starting preschool - can hardly believe it!  PRESCHOOL already.  I may or may not cry when I drop them off the first time... I promise to try and reign it in.  After a talk with JD about preschool and all the fun they will have, all they will learn, and the friends they can make, JD looked at me with big eyes and said "will you be there?".  Awwwww!   I explained that mommies don't get to go to preschool and he was upset, but only until I mentioned the fun and toys again. 

Also in a few weeks the twins turn 4.  I am having a great time planning the party (let's face it - in a few short years this fun job will be taken out of my hands).  They have decided on a Superhero theme - awesome!  After a detailed drawing of the cakes they wanted, much humming and hawing, and a cost estimate of the whole party... I have decided to instead purchase a single ice cream cake with the faces of both Spider Man and Iron Man on it.  Grrrrr!!!  Creating cake masterpieces is a skill I want to develop, and I enjoy it immensely, but I think this is the best way to go this year.  I can almost hear some of you thinking "geez, it's only a preschoolers birthday party, not a state dinner!". 

At some point this fall I would love to make it down south to see my family.  I haven't seen them since spring.  It saddens me that if I want to see my family I have to be the one to do the traveling.  Or the phoning.  Or the emailing.  I SO wish we were closer!  Not just geographically but ... just closer.  The pick-up-the-phone-just-to-chat kind of closer.  And more than once every few months.  Man, am I complaining, or what?!?!  Sorry guys.  The blog is called 'Thoughts and Stuff'... 

Yes, I can't wait for the heat to go.  When the temp hovers around 12 degrees Celsius, I'll be happier than a hippo in a muddy wallow!!  Who's with me? ?  And what did you do this summer?


No comments: