Wednesday, September 3, 2008

What are the odds?

A few weeks ago I entered a poetry contest with high hopes. I want to win so bad! Not for the accolades...for the cold, hard cash! I don't write needing people to approve of my work; at least not poetry. My poems are my poems, they are personal and just flow through the pen; so if someone doesn't like them TOO BAD, they are what they are. When I finally begin a novel it will be entirely different, I will need the feedback of an editor and those close to me to shape my creation into something great. But this contest... I want my poem to be embraced and loved, enough to WIN. Our family could definately benefit from that money; with my sweetie working his hands to the bone to gather our down payment for a home, I would absolutely LOVE to hand him a check and take some stress off his shoulders. I wonder though, what are the odds I would even come close to winning?? With other expectant winners spanning the continent, I really don't know if I even have a chance. There are some great writers out there! I don't have all of my dreams resting on this opportunity, but it would sure be wonderful to actually win. One thing is for sure, I will keep trying! Some day my writing will pay off, of that I am confident. Then I will be able to accomplish one of my greatest dreams.... which I may someday share with all of you....

1 comment:

The Hudkins Family said...

Karen so are so talented woman!!! I've only read a bit of your work, your poetry on this blog is beautiful. You have got a gift with words. Much luck and a big hug, so glad I'm finally connected to your blog! ~Jenny